Skip to main content


Toner Law Office, P.A. specializes in Marital & Family Law, serving clients in Spring Hill, FL, and the surrounding areas, including Weeki Wachee, Hernando Beach, Brooksville, Inverness, Crystal River, New Port Richey, and Dade City. With over 35 years of experience, Gena Toner, a Florida Bar Board-Certified attorney and certified Family Law mediator, offers expert legal guidance in a variety of family law matters.

Explore our practice areas below, including Divorce, Child Support, Parenting Time, Alimony, Paternity, and more. Whether you need strong representation in court or are seeking a peaceful resolution through mediation, Gena’s dual expertise ensures that your interests are effectively represented. Click on each panel to learn more about our services. If you’d like to schedule a consultation or ask general questions, please contact us.

In Florida, divorce is officially known as “Dissolution of Marriage.” When a marriage breaks down, a spouse can file for a dissolution of marriage to start the legal process. At Toner Law, we guide you through each step, ensuring your rights and interests are protected.

If significant changes have occurred since your court order, a modification may be needed. This could involve adjustments to child support, parenting schedules, or alimony awards. At Toner Law, we can help you determine if a modification is necessary and guide you through the legal process.

Parenting time, also known as visitation or custody arrangements, determines how parents share time with their children. At Toner Law, we understand how crucial these arrangements are for families. We help you navigate parenting time agreements, ensuring they prioritize your children’s best interests.

Child support is the financial support one parent provides to the other for a child’s needs, such as education, healthcare, and daily expenses. At Toner Law, we can help you understand child support calculations and ensure fair arrangements that focus on your child’s best interests.

Paternity is the legal process of establishing a child’s biological father, which can impact child custody, visitation, and child support. At Toner Law, we help you navigate paternity cases, ensuring your rights are protected while focusing on what’s best for the child.

Alimony is a court-ordered payment from one spouse to another following a divorce. It can be awarded for various reasons, including financial support during the transition from married to single life or to assist with education and training. At Toner Law, we can help you understand your rights and ensure a fair alimony arrangement.

Prenuptial agreements help couples define their rights and responsibilities before marriage, providing clarity and avoiding future conflicts. At Toner Law, we can guide you through creating a prenuptial agreement that protects your interests and ensures transparency.

Stepparent adoption allows a stepparent to legally adopt their spouse’s child, creating a new legal relationship and granting full parental rights. At Toner Law, we can help you navigate the legal process, ensuring the adoption is completed smoothly and efficiently.


What is divorce mediation?

Mediation can be a great way to settle a divorce case and save on attorney fees. Through mediation, you can voice your concerns and play a role in crafting a final agreement. Once the agreement is complete, a judge can sign the Final Judgment, allowing you to move forward with your life. Mediation often leads to a settlement, avoiding the cost and stress of going to trial.

Zoom has made mediation even more convenient. As my client, you can join the mediation from my office without encountering your soon-to-be ex. If you’re interested in learning more about the divorce process, call my office to schedule a consultation, and I’ll guide you through what to expect.

How old does a child have to be to decide whether to live with mom or dad in a divorce case?

This question comes up often in divorce cases involving parenting time. While children don’t make the final decisions, they might have some input regarding their preferences. A judge may speak to the child in private to understand the situation in both homes, including their relationships with parents and any other person in the home, like a new partner. If there are concerns about the home environment, the judge may ask about those too.

The child’s interview with the judge is usually done in private chambers, not in open court. There’s no specific age at which a child can express their preference, but typically judges consider the opinion of children who are sufficiently intelligent, understanding, and experienced, which generally means teenagers.

How much does a divorce cost?

We often get calls asking for a quick quote over the phone, but pricing a divorce case is complex. The issues involved determine the cost. For example, if a divorcing couple generally agrees on how to divide things, they can opt for an uncontested dissolution of marriage, which is usually less expensive. This process involves drawing up agreements and filing with the court, ensuring my client’s legal interests are protected.

However, when parties can’t agree, the case becomes contested, and costs depend on the issues to be resolved. If children are involved, the fee can vary based on factors like parenting time, child support, and division of parental responsibility. Ownership of real estate, businesses, or investments can also increase costs, as contested cases may require multiple court hearings, mediations, and extensive document preparation.

Given these complexities, if you want an expert’s guidance, please call us to set up a consultation. Most clients leave the consultation saying, “I feel so much better now that I understand what to expect and know my rights.”

I want to file for divorce. If I leave the home that my spouse and I jointly own, will that mean I abandon my financial interest in the house?

No, you would not be giving up the right to your share of the house value. If you want to leave, you may do so, and you’ll still be able to claim your part of the home’s equity. However, if you have children, the issue of leaving the home is more complex. There are parenting time issues to be considered, and you should ask a lawyer about the best course of action.

When an unmarried couple have a baby together, what are the dad's rights? Can the mom make unilateral decisions about the child?

The unmarried mom is the natural guardian and sole custodian of the child. She can make all the decisions. Unless and until a judge has made a finding of paternity, the dad’s parental rights are extremely limited.

Where should my divorce case be filed?

The county where the parties last lived together as husband and wife would be the proper venue to file a divorce case.

If you have questions about Marital & Family Law or need legal guidance, contact Toner Law Office, P.A. for a consultation. We’re committed to providing compassionate and expert advice to help you navigate your legal journey.